Wednesday’s feature will be the second running of the Mahoney, a non-graded stakes race at 5 1/2 furlongs on turf. The field opens 11-entrants deep, and the colt to watch should be Maven (5-2).
Maven returned from a brief stint in Europe following mixed results overseas. While there he netted a graded stakes win in France and a disappointing 10th in Great Britain. But a win at Keeneland at Wednesday’s surface and distance moved his record to 4-3-0-0. For Wednesday’s race, he moves to jockey Irad Ortiz Jr. who, entering Wednesday, is the meet leader with 44 wins in 210 starts.
Maven’s best competition should come from Turned Aside (2-1), who is by the same sire, American Pharoah, as Maven. Turned Aside took the Grade III Quick Call Stakes at Saratoga on July 24, ahead of Old Chestnut (12-1). Turned Aside has gotten the better of Old Chestnut in each of their last two outings together.
But Turned Aside is to Old Chestnut as Jack and Noah (4-1) is to Turned Aside. In two of Turned Aside’s four losses, he has placed to Jack and Noah, but overall has lost to him three times in his career. Each of those losses came at six furlongs. At 5 1/2, I believe Turned Aside finally has the edge.
- FIRST RACE: 1-A Silent Player, 6-Brianbakescookies, 2-Prayer Hope, 1A-French Light.
- SECOND RACE: 5-Snicket, 1-Munnings Muse, 6-Impazible Donna, 3-Bankers Daughter.
- THIRD RACE: 3-Coilean Bawn, 4-Cap De Creus, 5-Setting The Mood, 2-Quiet Dignity.
- FOURTH RACE: 2-Dash To The Top, 8-Who Knows What, 5-Joqular, 6-Bold Article.
- FIFTH RACE: 9-Kitten’s Romance, 3-Checksandbalances, 4-Dipping In, 1-Cherokee Song.
- SIXTH RACE: 3-Assume, 1-She’s A Black Belt, 2-Grudge, 5-Charlotte Webley.
- SEVENTH RACE: 8-Maven, 10-Turned Aside, 1-Buy Land And See, 9-Jack And Noah.
- EIGHTH RACE: 4-Blowout, 5-Catch A Bid, 6-Sweet Bye And Bye, 1-Atomic Blonde.
- NINTH RACE: 12-Back Channel, 8-Let Them Eat Cake, 7-Dial Me Up, 1-Bombshell.
No Salt (fourth), Towering Gaze (sixth), Allied Invasion (ninth).
Record for meet: 70-for-291.