Thursday’s eighth race, an allowance at 1 1/8 miles on the dirt, appears to have the best chance for an upset on a day that otherwise feels like it will be overwhelmingly chalk.
The morning-line favorite, Texas Swing (7-5), is coming off a five-month layoff and drops in class from his last race, the Grade II Tampa Bay Derby, where he ran a decent third. Trainer Todd Pletcher’s entrants tend to fare well after a lengthy layoff, but there is enough of a chance that Thursday will be a competitive workout before returning to stakes company that I am comfortable looking elsewhere.
The best chance appears to be with Danny California (4-1), who broke away in the stretch against a similar field at Saratoga on July 29. The gelding has three wins and a place over five career races at Thursday’s distance.
One Eyed Jack (5-1), is also a Pletcher horse and is also coming off a six-month layoff. The first-time gelding, out of Free Money, has the chance to be competitive against tougher competition and has run his best races at 1 1/8 miles.
- FIRST RACE: 6-Imperio D, 1-Majestic View, 4-After Prom Party, 3-Apex Predator.
- SECOND RACE: 6-All Others Follow, 2-Prairie Wings, 1-Forty Zip, 3-Witch Moon.
- THIRD RACE: 4-Value Proposition, 7-Empire Of War, 1-Seismic Wave, 5-Sentry.
- FOURTH RACE: 2-Judicial Restraint, 5-Tactician, 4-Height, 1A-Bubba Chuck.
- FIFTH RACE: 1-Dowse’s Beach, 1X-Eye Luv Lulu, 1A-Chateau, 5-Dirty.
- SIXTH RACE: 1-More Mango, 2-Leaveuwithasmile, 1A-Little Red Frog, 4-Glass Ceiling.
- SEVENTH RACE: 6-Introduced, 1-Rose Flower, 4-A Great Time, 7-Peaceful.
- EIGHTH RACE: 6-Danny California, 2-Texas Swing, 3-One Eyed Jack, 5-Creative Style.
- NINTH RACE: 3-Robin Sparkles, 7-Jades Gelly, 5-Saratoga Love, 4-Mo Me Mo My.
Dash to the Top (fourth), Assume (sixth).
Record for meet: 72-for-300.